View our Adoption Process Video Below!
You are considering ADOPTION and we couldn't be happier!
To ensure successful placement of our pets into loving homes, HSYC follows an evaluation process for all adopters. Many of our pets have come to us from a rough start in life, and this process helps guarantee they will live the life they deserve.
Please understand that adopting through HSYC may take up to a week before your new pet comes home with you.
- Adopters must be at least 21 years old.
- All current pets must be spayed/neutered, current on vaccines and on heartworm preventative.
- For all adoptions, we contact vet references.
- Family members should not have allergies to dogs/cats.
- ALL members of the household will need to come meet the pet prior to proceeding with the adoption process.
- Dogs and cats should be indoor pets; dogs should have suitable outdoor area for play/potty.
- Declawing of cats is not permitted.
- If you have current dogs, we require meet-and-greet to ensure compatibility before adoption is approved.
- To adopt a dog, we conduct a home visit to ensure the dog is comfortable and accepted by all members (human and pet) of the family.
- For the home visit requirement, potential canine adopters must live within 30 minutes from our facility.
- Some cats and dogs may have additional requirements to those listed above.
Once you find the cat or dog you would like to adopt:
1.Complete the applicable Cat or Dog Adoption Application.
2. Submit the completed application to the staff member or volunteer that was helping
3. The HSYC will check your vet references, typically within 24 hours.
4. For Dog Adoptions:
-If you currently have other dog(s), then you will be asked to bring in your dog(s)
for a "meet and greet" to see how well they get along.
-One of our Home Visit Specialists will contact you to schedule a home visit. You must live within 30 minutes of our facility.
5. A staff member will contact you with the adoption decision.
6. If approved, schedule a time to pickup your new FUR-baby:
-Sign the HSYC Adoption Contract.
-Pay the non-refundable adoption fee.
-Bring home your new FUR-baby!
Note: If adopting a cat, don't forget to bring a cat carrier. If adopting a dog, don't forget to bring a collar and leash.
*The adoption process time from application to going home varies due to a number of things such as spay/neuter status, time required to arrange a meet & great or home visit, etc. Please be patient as we do the best to process all applications in a timely manner.
The adoption fees at the Humane Society of York County are:
- $200 for dogs
- $100 for cats
Our adoption fee includes microchipping. The adopter is responsible for updating the microchip details in the event your pet ever gets lost.
*New pricing effective May 1, 2017
Added benefits of our fee include:
|Service||Average price you would pay to a private vet|
|Spaying/neutering||$150 - $300|
|Distemper vaccination(s)||$40 - $60 (2 sets)|
|Rabies vaccination||$15 - $25|
|Heartworm test||$15 - $35|
|Heartworm treatment (if necessary)||$700 - $900|
|Flea/tick treatment||$50 - $100|
We also provide food, shelter, socialization, exercise and love to make sure our animals are ready to go to your loving home to become family pets.
We work with Dr. Robert G. Chappell from the Carolina Place Animal Hospital for our medical care.
With so many animals dying in local government shelters, we at the HSYC Rescue are proud to SAVE lives but we CANNOT do it alone. Please consider donating to our cause. You can donate time, supplies, finances, etc... Taking the community focus, we are collaborating with government shelters and other rescues to save more lives.
Please share the drive for ADOPTION with your friends and families. It's the right thing to do and promote the wonderful experience you have by adopting a rescue pet! They are the best in the world.