Positions Available - Rescue Attendant
Perform routine animal care and any related duties at the animal shelter. This will involve cleaning and maintaining kennel areas, and performing assigned shelter duties. Attendants carry out daily assignments, follow through on issues, and use training and independent judgment to take actions to deal with standard situations.
Includes but not limited to:
- Clean kennels and perform related housekeeping duties.
- Perform shelter duties, including receiving animals brought to the shelter, preparing animal for adoption, paper work and transport animals to veterinarians.
- Update, edit, and correct data files on animals in the kennels.
- Maintain proper inventory levels of cleaning and other supplies. Inform supervisor when reordering is necessary.
- Cultivate positive client, volunteer and coworker relations through professional, courteous, and educational interactions. Greet and assist all clients upon initial contact.
- Counsel potential adopters in selecting a pet that fits their lifestyle, discuss the responsibilities of pet ownership, show animals to prospective adopters during shelter open hours, give information about specific animals and explain the adoption process to shelter visitors.
- Practice and encourage the humane treatment of animals.
- Provide quality customer service to clients, volunteers, and staff while actively promoting our mission, services, programs, and events. Listen to customers and provide effective responses and remedies to their questions and needs.
- Promote donation and giving opportunities as appropriate.
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers, recognizing the talent and commitment they bring to our organization.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required. Undergraduate degree helpful.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Strong organizational skills, human relation, and communication & interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to the objectives of the organization.
- Computer literate with solid knowledge of MS Office Suite and social media sites.
- Excellent problem solving/decision-making skills.
- Knowledge of accepted principles of animal welfare preferred.
- Ability to multi-task and take on multiple roles as needed.
- Weekend/Holiday hours required
- 35 - 40 hours per week
The work is performed in both the office, kennels, and outside. Applicants must be able to work outside in a variety of weather conditions. The Rescue Attendant position requires workers to walk or stand for long periods; lift and carry up to 50 pounds; climb stairs, bend, reach, hold, grasp and turn objects. This position also requires the ability to operate a computer.