Dog Walking and Socialization
Is this job for you?
Do you enjoy taking a dog for a walk or jog? Are you looking to get some additional outdoor exercise yourself? Do you want to play a game of fetch or tug-of-war? Then this job is for you!
Volunteers are essential so our dogs get some exercise and develop socialization skills.
365 days a year
- Morning Shift: 8:00 AM - Noon
- Afternoon Shift: 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Extended Hours on Tuesdays and Fridays:
- Afternoon Shift: 1:00 PM - 6:00 PM
- Hours vary on major holidays, such as New Years' Day, Easter, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Check with our Facebook Volunteer Page for special hours.
Note that "Shifts" indicates hours in which you can perform this opportunity. You can work as many (or as little) hours within a shift as you like. We appreciate any help you can provide!
8177 Regent Pkwy, Fort Mill, SC 29708
- Must be 18+ or 16+ if HSYC Liability Release form is signed by his/her guardian 18+
- Volunteer Orientation
- Dog Handling Session
Our ultimate objective is to increase the chances of our dogs to be adopted, in a shorter amount of time through socialization, while living in a safe, healthy and sanitary environment until they find their FUR-ever home!
Additional objectives are to:
- Provide exercise, stimulation and play time to reduce stress.
- Provide socialization between humans and other dogs.
- Offer opportunities to spend time outside of their kennel and enjoy the fresh air.
- Basic dog handling such as retrieving dogs from their kennel, donning their collar or harness, returning to kennel, etc.
- Walking dogs.
- Socializing dogs with other dogs and people.
- Spending time with dogs in the yard; playing fetch, tug-of-war, etc.
- Picking up dog waste (Please be considerate, especially on walks outside our facility grounds).
- And of course, giving our dogs LOTS of kisses, love and attention!
Once you attend the Volunteer Orientation, you must schedule a dog handling session with any of our following dog handlers to be able to walk dogs or take them to events:
Board Member and Volunteer Coordinator
Key Volunteer, Favorite Furry Friend Program
Key Volunteer, Dog Handler Sessions