Dog Walking and Socialization
Is this job for you?
Do you enjoy taking a dog for a walk or jog? Are you looking to get some additional outdoor exercise yourself? Do you want to play a game of fetch or tug-of-war? Then this job is for you!
Volunteers are essential so our dogs get some exercise and develop socialization skills.
365 days a year
- Morning Shift: 8:00 AM - Noon
- Afternoon Shift: 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Extended Hours on Tuesdays and Fridays:
- Afternoon Shift: 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM (Summer Hours) or 6:00 PM (Winter Hours)
- Hours vary on major holidays, such as New Years' Day, Easter, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Check with our Facebook Volunteer Page for special hours.
- We will begin walking dogs from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM everyday. Please let us know if you're interested!
Note that "Shifts" indicates hours in which you can perform this opportunity. You can work as many (or as little) hours within a shift as you like. We appreciate any help you can provide!
8177 Regent Pkwy, Fort Mill, SC 29708
- Must be 18+ or 16+ if HSYC Liability Release form is signed by his/her guardian 18+
- Volunteer Orientation
- Dog Handling Session
Our ultimate objective is to increase the chances of our dogs to be adopted, in a shorter amount of time through socialization, while living in a safe, healthy and sanitary environment until they find their FUR-ever home!
Additional objectives are to:
- Provide exercise, stimulation and play time to reduce stress.
- Provide socialization between humans and other dogs.
- Offer opportunities to spend time outside of their kennel and enjoy the fresh air.
- Basic dog handling such as retrieving dogs from their kennel, donning their collar or harness, returning to kennel, etc.
- Walking dogs.
- Socializing dogs with other dogs and people.
- Spending time with dogs in the yard; playing fetch, tug-of-war, etc.
- Picking up dog waste (Please be considerate, especially on walks outside our facility grounds).
- And of course, giving our dogs LOTS of kisses, love and attention!
Once you attend the Volunteer Orientation, you must schedule a dog handling session with any of our following dog handlers to be able to walk dogs or take them to events:
Board Member and Volunteer Coordinator
Key Volunteer, Favorite Furry Friend Program
Key Volunteer, Dog Handler Sessions