SURRENDER YOUR PET
If you find that you must surrender your pet to the Humane Society of York County, please understand there are often more homeless animals than space available at the HSYC. Please keep in mind that we are a no-kill shelter, so space is contingent on animals being adopted in order to make room.
Please be patient and we will return your email as soon as possible.
PROCESS: Please send an EMAIL and include the following information about your pet:
- Spay/Neuter status
- History of Vaccinations
- Overall health
- Behavioral details
- Reason you need to surrender your pet
- Owner contact details
SURRENDER A STRAY
Before contacting HSYC to surrender a found animal, please take the following measures:
- Have the pet scanned for a microchip. This can be done at any vet clinic, pet store, or shelter. HSYC can scan a found pet for you, but it does not mean we have space to keep them at our shelter.
- Post on Social Media (Lost and Found Pets of York County, Lost and Found Pets of York County, SC, Nextdoor, etc.)
- Notify Animal Control in your county (York County: 803-628-3190, Charlotte-Mecklenburg: (704) 336-7600)
- Notify local veterinary offices/post fliers with info about the found pet.
After exhausting these options, please EMAIL our intake coordinator with the following information:
- Spay/Neuter Status (if possible)
- Condition of animal (any obvious injuries or conditions)
- Behavioral Details
- Location and Date Found