Volunteering at an animal rescue is extremely rewarding, educational, exciting, and fun. Walking a dog, socializing a cat, providing a healthy shelter environment, or even giving an animal a bath or pat on the head, can have a huge impact on the lives of all of our shelter animals. You will be rewarded by experiencing how dogs and cats respond to the love they receive while they are at our rescue. In some cases, our animals were strays or abused; and this may be the first time they experience care and compassion.
Our volunteer program was created to best serve the animals in our care and the community. We rely heavily on volunteer participation; as a result, we recognize the value of your time and thank you for giving your time to help change the life of an animal in need. Volunteers are a valuable asset to our organization and to the many dogs and cats that need loving homes.
Thank you for choosing the Humane Society of York County as the organization to which you wish to contribute your valuable time. Your efforts will make a significant difference in our cats' and dogs' lives while they are temporarily living at the rescue waiting to go to their forever homes. We hope you find your experience with us rewarding.
The following information will help acquaint you with the Humane Society helping you to make your volunteer experience successful and enjoyable. If you have any questions after reading this information, please contact the Humane Society of York County at 803-802-0902.
To help us cover the cost of our volunteer program, we charge a one-time administrative fee of $25 for each volunteer aged 16 and over. This includes an HSYC volunteer t-shirt.
Note: Fees are waived for Foster Care only and Thrift Store only volunteers. T-shirts can be purchased for $20.
In order to begin volunteering, you must do all 3 steps below. PLEASE DO NOT set yourself up a profile until you are ready to pay the fee at the same time, and come to the next available orientation.
- Click HERE to create your volunteer profile (you must be 16 years or older-we do not set up profiles for children who will be volunteering with their parents).
- If you are a parent or guardian, you must list all volunteers under the age of 16 in your profile at the box given at the end of profile set up.
- Note that you must check the Waiver of Liability check box for liability purposes. This includes you and any volunteers under the age of 16 you listed. If you are between the ages of 16-18, in addition to checking the box on the Waiver, you must print the Waiver of Liability, have a parent or guardian sign it, and bring it with you signed to orientation.
- Pay the Volunteer Orientation Fee. Fee must be paid at this link prior to Orientation. (Fee waived for Foster Care and Thrift Store volunteers only.)
- Attend the Volunteer Orientation.
- New volunteer orientations are held on the first Saturday and the third Friday of every month from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
- The New Volunteer Orientation should be attended ONLY by individuals 16 years of age and older. Younger volunteers are welcome at a later date under parental/guardian supervision.
- Please dress appropriately for the weather and wear close-toed shoes.
- You will get instructions for your first volunteer experience during the orientation. Some activities require additional training, and you will also discover how to obtain appropriate training for the opportunities in which you wish to participate.
- If your volunteer activities are at the facility, sign in at the volunteer console (iPad) located in the lobby upon arrival at the rescue. Please check in with a staff member for assistance in beginning your activities if needed.
- Community service volunteers must coordinate their schedule with the Pet Coordinator. Once your schedule is determined, you must check with the Pet Coordinator upon arriving and leaving the rescue. Please bring all necessary paperwork with you, and leave your cell phone in your car.
In addition to the hours open to the public, staff and volunteers are at the rescue 365 days of the year. Our cats and dogs still need your attention and care. The following are general volunteer hours which may vary due to major holidays, inclement weather or major rescue events.
Closed from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
|Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Saturday||Tuesday & Friday||Activities|
|8:00 AM - 12:00 PM||8:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Dog walking, cat socialization, cleaning and rescue upkeep|
|1:00 PM - 4:00 PM||1:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Dog walking, cat socialization, cleaning and rescue upkeep|