The Humane Society of York County (HSYC) is an independent local non-profit organization dedicated to the humane treatment of cats and dogs. We are located in Fort Mill, South Carolina and serve the greater Charlotte region including York, Lancaster and Mecklenburg counties.
Vision: Help York County to become a Non-Kill community
Mission: “We are finding loving fur-ever homes for dogs and cats”
To ensure York County SC cats and dogs are treated in a humane manner, rescued, and placed in loving and forever homes through these actions:
- Increasing dog and cat rescues and adoptions
- Empowering the environment so pet owners are responsible and accountable for their actions
- Supporting spay and neuter programs for community dogs and cats
- Providing a Helping Hands Program to assist with critical treatment for dogs and cats in need
- Championing community collaboration across rescues
- Unite in purpose: Staff, board members and volunteers united for the cause
- Compassion: Treat people with dignity and kindness
- Accountability: Do what you say you are going to do; be where you need to be; answer to whom you need to answer to
- Transparency: Be open about what you are doing
- Inclusion: Provide opportunity to and value the input of diverse people
- Integrity: Behave with principle and by these values even when no one is looking
- Perseverance: Keep pushing and fighting for the cause
- Security and Safety: Behave and work in a way to ensure there is no hazard for people or pets
We partnered successfully to place 980 pets into loving homes last year preventing them from being euthanized. In an effort to stop future overpopulation, we now require that all adopted pets be spayed or neutered before leaving our rescue. As well, in 2016 we were invited to join the Non-Kill South Carolina Initiative as a Shelter Partner and are proudly working diligently to that end.
Because we are an independent no kill facility, we make our own funds via grants, adoptions, fund raising activities and donations from our generous supporters. Often people think since we are named the Humane Society funds come in from other Humane Society non profits but they do NOT. So please give locally and volunteer. We work diligently to be good stewards of our funds so that more lives can be saved.
Please Opt to Adopt and share our information with everyone you know.